The sustainable growth and prosperity of all companies, large and small, is dependent on the wellbeing of its people.
Many companies have recognised that the wellbeing of employees is more at risk today than ever before, due to the unprecedented challenge of financial distress and global uncertainty.
Many employees may feel like they are on an emotional roller coaster.
Layoffs, budget cuts and increased demands (doing more with less) have become common language and events in the current workplace, and the result is increased fear, uncertainty, and higher levels of stress.
The concept of the standard eight-hour day has fast disappeared for many employees. Hence, the concept of “work-life balance” has gained popularity – although most people are unable to implement this idea in their lives.
While employees struggle to make sense of the increased distress they are living with, their work, health and safety, as well as family and other important relationships, are increasingly jeopardised. This results in their becoming even more stressed and fatigued.
Occupational Health & Safety, Wellness
When employees are stressed and fatigued, their minds tend to be clouded and lack clarity and awareness. This leads to mindless mistakes which can cause physical injury as well as loss of productivity for the organisation.
Workplace stress is extremely costly for companies. For example, in Australia, workplace stress is costing the economy $14 billion per annum and stress related presenteeism (being physically present at work but mentally elsewhere) and absenteeism is directly costing Australian employers $10.1 billion per annum. (Medibank research 2008)
Employee Attraction & Retention
When employees are stressed and fatigued, not only does their productivity significantly decrease, they are also more likely to be unhappy, reactive and non-responsive in the workplace. This can cause disharmony amongst the team which inevitably leads to employees leaving the organisation due to lack of satisfaction and fulfilment in the work environment. An unhappy environment also makes it difficult to attract talented staff.
Symptoms of Stress
You may be surprised by the broad range of symptoms of stress. Here is a list from The Stress Exam by By Dr. Mehmet Oz.
- Fatique or tiredness
- Pounding heart
- Rapid pulse
- Twitches or tics
- Sweaty palms
- Heart palpitations
- Increased perspiration
- Rapid breathing
- Aching neck or shoulders
- Low back pain
- Clenching jaw
- Hives or skin rash
- Cold hands or feet
- Tightness in chest
- Nausea or upset stomach
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Lack of Energy
- Poor appetite
- Difficulty swallowing
- Sleep difficulties
- Difficulty concentrating
- Frequent absenteeism
- Excessive drinking
- Excessive smoking
- Excessive spending
- Excessive drug use
- Nail biting
- Periods of crying
- Feeling helpless/hopeless
- Increased irritability
- Feelings of depression
- Loss of sexual interest
- Feeling angry
- Feeling upset
- Racing/intrusive thoughts
- Feeling restless
- Worrisome thoughts
- Feeling nervous/anxious
Stress is not well understood, even amongst our medical professionals whose job it is to treat the symptoms of stress.
- Stressors – the external triggers that most people react to in a stressful way, e.g., Change – house, job, boss, partner, weight, health, death, divorce, etc.; Physical (bio-chemical) – lack of appropriate nutrition, high sugar intake, lack of appropriate physical activity.
- The response to the stressors – the mental, emotional and physical response to these external triggers.
- The beliefs that cause the particular response to the stressors – different people respond in different ways to the same stressors.
To reduce stress, most people will tackle it at the first level – avoid the stressors if you can. This is a good strategy, but unfortunately, some stressors are difficult or impossible to avoid. Therefore, a more fool-proof strategy is required.
- Removing the beliefs that cause the stressful response – remove mental barriers to inner calm.
- Transforming negative emotional states to a peaceful state of clarity – dissolve emotional barriers
- Your productivity spontaneously increases
- You gain clarity and decision making becomes effective as creativity expands
- Your communication with others becomes harmonious
- You exude a contagious positive energy
- Your heightened awareness reduces the potential for accidents at work and at home
- Your feel more fulfilled both at work and at home
Attraction, retention and engagement of staff are naturally enhanced when your staff are stress-free, happy and productive.
Not only does this impact on the reduction in cost in relation to OH&SW issues, it also increases the profitability of your organisation.
To find out more about how to implement this solution and enhance the wellness of your people, please contact us to set up an appointment so that we can explore your needs together.